Top 30 Songs by Elvis Presley Countdown
Happy new year!
Welcome to our seventh Top 30 Countdown, having re-energised the concept back in March last year. The way it works is this – Neil has assembled what he believes to be the thirty best songs to have been recorded by Elvis Presley. These are not necessarily the best, the most popular, the highest charting – they are simply Neil’s selection of the top 30 songs to have been recorded by the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll. No doubt there will be readers / listeners who enthusiastically disagree with his choices but that’s the nice thing about having your own programs and web site – you have a forum in which to share your opinion!
Below, we have listed the ten songs that Neil felt were the most unlucky to miss the cut (listed in chronological order by chart entry date) and below that, you can see the thirty songs that made the countdown, as they are revealed one per day across January 2018. Interestingly, all ten songs that just missed out were released in the first half of his career. By comparison, 14 of the 30 in the actual Top 30 Countdown made the charts in Australia in or later than 1970 – that must say something about Neil’s preferred Elvis era!
For the record, our reference on chart positions, etc is The Book: Top 40 Research by Steve Scanes and Jim Barnes.
- Heartbreak Hotel – 28 July 1956
- Hound Dog (B side of a song that does appear in the countdown) – 8 December 1956
- All Shook Up – 29 June 1957
- Blue Christmas – 5 September 1957
- (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear – 12 October 1957
- (Now and Then) There’s A Fool Such As I – 18 April 1959
- Wooden Heart – 11 March 1961
- Good Luck Charm – 24 March 1962
- (You’re The) Devil In Disguise – 19 July 1963
- Viva Las Vegas – 1 May 1964